No Candidate Deserves My Vote!

The “No Candidate Deserves My Vote!” party has one aim and that is to introduce a bill to Parliament to have a “None of the above” option added to every local and general election ballot paper of the future. That way you can exercise your democratic right to vote to say that none of the parties currently make the grade for you. It will also encourage your democratic responsibility to turn out to vote.

For everything else Steve of Stevenage will act as an Independent so don’t ask me about health, education, defence or the economy... come and tell me!!!



Monday 8 March 2010

What happens if you actually win?

Pigs may fly, snowmen may be found in Timbuktu and man may land on Mars, but if I do get in, the following will happen:

The irony that in order to have the option to vote for no-one you first have to vote for someone has not escaped my attention. I intend my tenure to be fairly short-lived. There are two things that I am duty bound to do. Firstly, to carry out my mandate and introduce a bill to have the Electoral Commission rules changed to include a mandatory “None of the above” option on every ballot paper of the future. Once this is done the “No Candidate Deserves My Vote!” party will have completed its “raison d’ĂȘtre” and I can stand down and allow what we have achieved to takes its course in the democratic process of this nation. Whilst carrying out my mandate I will, of course, also be MP for Stevenage, and as such will have a day job to represent the people of Stevenage, and its institutions, to Parliament, taking part in the Parliamentary democratic process, working on laws and acts of Parliament through committee and holding surgery in Stevenage to listen to issues and ideas from Stevenage electors that affect the governance of the Nation and Stevenage. In this second role I have no party political manifesto to worry about and thus would act as an Independent, so don’t ask me about health, education, economy... come and tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment